Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Bankruptcy and other Legal topics.
A few requirements exist for permission to file personal bankruptcy which include:
* residing or having a place of business or property in the US;
* it's been at least six years since any previous Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge or completed Chapter 13 bankruptcy plan;
* there's been no dismissal of any other bankruptcy action within 180 days;
* cannot be a "substantial" abuse of Chapter 7 relief;
* the action would not constitute a fundamental "unfairness" to grant the Chapter 7 relief.
For these reasons, it is strongly recommended that the services of a well-respected bankruptcy attorney be sought.