Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Family Law and other Legal topics.
Generally, whether a common law marriage exists or a traditional, ceremonial marriage has been performed, there are several obligations that arise out of marriage.
Those rights, under most state family laws provide:
* Each spouse to provide mutual respect and fidelity to each other;
* Spousal support, whether in the form of food, shelter, clothing and meeting basic needs
* Commonality of marital property, i.e. property acquired during the marriage belongs fairly and equally to both parties
* Joint responsibility for debts incurred during the marriage
* The enjoyment of a confidential relationship, meaning that each spouse is assured that there is good faith within the marriage relationship as to fairness and equality.